Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Basic Embroidery Stitches

After I created my first 3 quilting patches, I decided to do a little research on different stitching techniques. I found a wonderful channel on youtube:
Wendi Gratz of Shiny Happy World.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcgCYJApQD4fImpmjYViORA

Through her videos I discovered the world of running stitches, chain stitches, stem stitches, split stitches, satin stitches, blanket stitches, back stitches and french knots. I am going to discuss the stitches I like the best and why.

1.)  The running stitch: This is a basic outline stitch that when done gives a dotted line type look. I personally don't care for this stitch because I think it makes your design look disjointed. It is a good starter stitch to use and practice with to get used to embroidery.


2.) The split stitch: This is my absolute favorite outline stitch. It gives your design a nice braided effect and looks more continuous, this can be seen in my broomstick.

3.) The stem stitch: I like this stitch for doing curves or circles.

4.) The French knot: The french knot is perfect for animal fur and other detailing. I also like using it to dot my "i's". This effect can be seen below, my first french knot attempt when I made my snitch and broomstick:
5.) Satin stitch: The satin stitch is nice for filling in outlined designs. The problem with the satin stitch is that it takes up a lot of thread because you are essentially back stitching your entire design. But it gives your outline a little extra oomph  when filling stuff in.

6.)Back stitch: I like the back stitch for doing words and letters. It has a different texture and still has that cohesive line. Your stitching won't look disjointed like with the running stitch.

7.) Blanket stitches: I only use these to outline my fabric applique (which I will get to later)

For detailed instructions on how to use the various stitches, I highly recommend checking out Wendi Gratz's Youtube channel. There are also other several other videos and tutorials out there for you to check out.

Next Post: Putting together what I have learned so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment