Monday, November 11, 2013

Lord of the Rings

When epic battles of good versus evil come to mind, I think of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. Lord of the Rings is one of my all time favorite epics. From reading the books as a kid to watching the movies as an adult, I am constantly thrilled and delighted and the story never gets old. So how fitting it is to include Lord of the Rings into my Epic Quilt of Nerddom!

Once again, there are so many themes from Lord of the Rings that I could have chosen from. I scoured the internet for inspiration and found many people more creative and talented than I. Many things that I found were cross stitched, which isn't my strong suit, as I haven't practiced much cross-stitch or counted cross stitch and I don't really have the materials necessary to cross stitch. Although, I did stumble across some pretty cool cross-stitching software where you can upload pictures, designs, or drawings, and it will make a cross-stitch grid pattern for you. I have noticed that some of that software is costly but I did see some decent free ones as well.

However, as I did not want to do any cross-stitching, I settled on drawing out my own designs to embroider. I chose:

  • The One Ring (Obviously) - I still need to finish the word "all" because at the time I had ran out of black embroidery floss. 

  • The Evenstar (I'm not sure I like how it turned it out, but it's recognizable and my quilt is going to be a little quirky anyway, so it's fine with me)

  • A dragon that is suppposed to represent Smaug. (I love how it turned it!). Speaking of Smaug, Benedict Cumberbatch is doing the voice of Smaug in the new Hobbit movie! I'm so excited! My dream in life is to move to England, quilt all day in a cabin in the countryside, meet Benedict Cumberbatch, make him fall in love with me and then have his babies. I know it won't happen but a girl can dream! This dragon is a great example of several different stitches. The wings and eye are french knots, the head is split stitched, and the body is satin stitched. 
  • A leaf of Lorien, with the saying "not idly do the leaves of lorien fall". Although I'm concerned my leaf of Lorien looks more like a jalepeno than a leaf of Lorien, but such is life. What do you, my many readers, think? (She says facetiously). 
  • Finally, the sword of Elendil that was reforged and given to Aragorn by Elrond, with the saying "renewed shall be the blade that was broken):












Check out the new Hobbit trailer:

 Next Post: "Our Mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, and to be boldly go where no man has gone before". Of course....STAR TREK!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment