Saturday, November 9, 2013

Doctor Who!

After I completed my Harry Potter quilt squares, I decided to start on my Doctor Who ones. Oh, Doctor Who, how I love you! What to use? There were some obvious choices, of course. The Tardis, a Dalek, a Cyberman, a Sonic Screwdriver....but what else? I decided to go with an embroidered "wibbly wobbly timey wimey" which comes from one of my favorite Doctor Who episodes, from the David Tennant era entitled: "Blink". I believe this is the first episode of the "new Who" where we see the weeping angels for the first time and young Sally Sparrow must figure out how to get the Doctor out from 1969. The clip which this famous quote comes from is below:



If any of you have been living under a rock and don't know what Doctor Who is, or you have heard of it and have never watched it, check out this comedic Fine Brothers video describing 50 years of Doctor Who in the amount of time it would take you to make up your mind to stay in all weekend and watch Doctor Who to see what you have been missing!



But I digress: back to my awesome Doctor Who quilting squares, I ended up settling on a total of 7:
 The cyberman and the bowtie were my first attempts at fabric applique. My next post will be to address the way I found the easiest to do fabric applique.


 The Dalek, has both split stitching and french knots for the circles. I think I'm progressing nicely!

 I need to finish the blanket stitching around my tardis, but this was another fabric applique.
Finally, my sonic screwdriver is a nice example of how satin stitching can really make things pop, however, be aware of the amount of thread necessary to do this. The embroidery floss used was the DMC light effects embroidery floss. This floss is a little pricier (about 2.50 per skein, as opposed to the average .40-1.00 per skein) it is also a little more difficult to work with as it's not cotton and tends to tangle easier.

Next Post: Fabric applique!

No comments:

Post a Comment