Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Harry Potter!

After I mastered some of the basic stitches, I was able to get more creative with my embroidery. First up I decided to make all of my Harry Potter squares. This was a tough decision since there are so many things from Harry Potter that could be utilized. I scoured the internet as well for ideas.

(It might be important to add that this quilt is being made by me, for me. It is not intended to be sold or reproduced. I do not own copyrights to any images/themes from any franchise. Any reproduction of these themes/designs should be for personal use only. I do not know the legal repercussions of reproducing and selling hand made items with copyrighted themes).

I settled on my first 9 patches to be from Harry Potter, you have already seen my first three attempts at embroidery: The owl, the hallows, and the lightning bolt (again I haven't decided if i'm keeping them or not). Since I had a little more knowledge I decided to go big or go home for my fourth patch and I am glad I did because the result was fantastic:

I love how the Hogwarts crest turned out and this is by far the most detailed patch I have made to date and probably took me the longest to do (almost a week, if I remember correctly). The best way that I have found if you have a custom pattern, is to either draw it or print it out, pin it to your fabric once its in your embroidery hoop. Embroider through both the paper and the fabric and once you are done the stitching perforates the paper. Using tweezers, carefully and gently remove the excess paper when done.

My other Harry Potter squares are as follows:




This last one is not done. It represents Snape's patronus as a doe and the question "after all this time? always"

Can I take a moment to nerd out about Harry Potter?

I never liked Snape throughout the entire series, but at the end....wow J.K. way to throw another tear jerking moment in there. And for all those that may be reading this blog that have never read Harry Potter....WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR??? Do it now! Stop reading my blog and run, not walk, to your nearest book store, library, or cool friend who has all the books for you to borrow! Call off work and read Harry Potter! That's how awesome Harry Potter is....it's worth calling off of work for (which I have done more than once when the movies came out and of course I had to see them at midnight)!

Next Post: Doctor Who Magic!

No comments:

Post a Comment